Posts tagged Captain America
It’s been quite the busy year for Sega on the superhero front. With a total of five different titles released between them, both Thor and Captain America have been given several chances to prove their worth to gamers. As most would expect from your average licensed fare, these games almost consistently fell flat on their chiseled, manly jaws with awkward gameplay, terrible graphics, and tepid presentation.
Now, we’re at the end of this spate of superhero movie releases. Captain America is once again up to his old tricks, this time on the Nintendo 3DS. As with the Thor before it, this 3D-enhanced game is being released several months after the film, but is that extra development time enough to take something as bland, repetitive and boring as a licensed superhero game and transform it into something worth more than a passing glance?
How much profit, I hear you ask? Well, between April 1st and September 30th they made USD 1,95 billion of profit! While that is almost 30% less than they made during the same period last year, keep in mind that Japanese sales haven’t been that strong due to the earthquake in March. Sega also says the Western markets are not buying enough games, while their pachinko business is doing rather well!
They also mention some sales figures for the game that came out during that period:
- Captain America: Super Soldier (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS): 450.000 units
Regions: Europe, USA
- Rise of Nightmares (Xbox 360): 200.000 units
Regions: Europe, USA, Japan
- Sakatsuku 7 Euro Plus (PSP): 200.000 units
[Via gamefront.de and andriasang]
According to this Walmart ad, Sega is returning as a console manufacturer. Okay, that’s pretty much an outright mistake by some confused employee… Or is it? One can always dream…
Well, then I have good news for you! There is some footage of the European version of the game on the internet and you can check them out right after the jump!
We all know the drill: Movie-licensed games suck, right? Well, If you check out the trailer in the source, you ould actually speculate that this game, based on the Captain America movie, could actually be quite decent. Let’s just hope for the best, shall we?
Hit the jump for the trailer!
- Virtua Tennis 4 – 8th July 2011 (PC)
- Captain America: Super Soldier – 15th July 2011 (Multi)
- CRUSH3D – 9th September 2011 (3DS)
- Rise of Nightmares (Kinect) – September 2011 (X360)
- Shinobi – September 2011 (3DS)
- House of the Dead: Overkill – Extended Cut – 28th October 2011 (PS3)
- Sonic Generations – November 2011 (PS3, X360, PC)
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games – November 2011 (Wii)
- Anarchy Reigns – January 2012 (PS3, X360)
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games – February 2012 (3DS)
- Binary Domain Shooter – Early 2012 (PS3)
- Aliens: Colonial Marines – Spring 2012 (PS3, X360, PC)
- London 2012 – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games – 2012 (PS3, X360, PC)
- Thor Action Adventure – TBC (3DS)
- Virtua Tennis 4 – TBC (PSVita)
The sad thing about movie tie in games is that the people who make them are really only given a limited time slot in which to complete a full blown game. The upcoming Sega published Captain America game however seems to break this trend as it has in fact been worked on for three years. Originally a Devil May Cry style game the developers have said that it became more in line with the recent Batman game Arkham Asylum.
At a recent press event Brandon Gill (the game’s director) said that “We started long before we knew what the movie was even going to be about.” This gives me very high hopes as everything I’ve heard about the game has been positive. The game itself is set to come out July 15th in Europe with the American release coming 4 days later. So yeah, I’m looking forward to a tie in game! Who’d have thought?
As you can see, Destin and the folks from The Daily DL has had the chance to play the Captain America tie in game, and to his (and everyone’s surprise) it looks like a good game.
I’m not being sarcastic now, but I really want to play this. It sounds like it could be the Spider Man 2 of this generation. But what about you? Are you convinced that this looks fun? Let me know in the comments!
[Source: The Daily DL and Derek for linking me to this]
The trailer for the Wii version of Captain America: Super Soldier has been released. The graphics are bad so get over it. It looks like it could be fun, but I’m not sure if I’ll be picking it up. Also, what is up with his shoulders?
Anyone gonna be picking this up?